Ah, the common cold; whether it’s summer or winter, once in a while it raises its ugly head in most peoples’ lives. For some, it can be just a mild irritation, while for others; it can make them feel pretty miserable :(.
The best thing to do to prevent, or reduce the longevity of your cold, is to boost your immune system. If you head down to your local drug store, you will find plenty of over the counter cold remedies that claim to reduce symptoms. I suggest you save your money and look at some simple, natural cold remedies that you can start implementing today!
Natural Cold Remedies
Believe it or not, you may already have access to some great cold remedies in your kitchen. See my post on the foods that can help to strengthen the immune system. Implementing the following steps, can greatly help to reduce your chances of getting a cold, or the severity of a cold.
• Eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, particularly green leafy ones. Also, eating organic is your best choice, if at all possible. Yes, I know; this is something that I do tend to harp on about ;). I cannot stress enough the benefits that making some simple changes to your diet will have on improving your overall health and well-being.
• Cut down on (or ideally, eliminate) refined sugars and processed foods. The bottom line; these types of foods put unnecessary stress on your body.
• Rest. Mother Nature has a great way of knowing when to tell us that we need to slow down. Be kind to yourself, and know that by getting that much needed sleep, you will allow your body time to rejuvenate.
• Plenty of fluids. By this, I mean plenty of clean, fresh water. Avoid caffeine and carbonated drinks. I always start my day with a glass of warm water, with the juice of a lemon. Lemons are amazing and have too many health benefits for me to go into here. Suffice to say, lemon water has an alkalizing effect on the body, and your body needs to be in an alkaline state to maintain great health, and keep those colds away.
• Walking. There are so many great benefits of walking. Even if you are coming down with, or already have a cold, you can still keep up a little bit of gentle exercise. The key here is ‘gentle’. If you push your body too hard, it will actually be counterproductive.
• Fresh Air. We’re not just talking great outdoors here; what about the indoor air quality in your home? It is very important to make sure that your home is kept well ventilated. This will help to reduce airborne particles that can impact negatively on your health, making you more susceptible to colds.
• Sunshine and Vitamin D. We are always hearing about the negative effects that too much sun can have on you, however not having enough sun exposure is also detrimental to your health. Sunshine is the best source of Vitamin D, which is important in positively stimulating the immune system.
• Emotional stressors. Emotional well-being is an essential ingredient when it comes to good health. If negative patterns dominate your life, it can greatly increase your susceptibility to not only colds, but also other illness. If necessary, seek the help of a health care adviser to help you to address the issues in this area of your life.
So there you have it folks, some great natural cold remedies. Why not start implementing them today?
Abundance Of Wellness Advocate